(Note: ALL DONE. Doors to proposal-land are closed. Thanks for submitifying!)
We’re looking for presentations, workshops, installations, tours, and miscellaneous good stuff that features audio to fill our weekend-long festival in BAY AREA CA, June 5-7, 2015. Circuit bending / noisemaker constructions, free-form audio editing sessions, slumber parties with sound games, interactive demonstrations, experimental musical practice and theory, film with a heavy audio component, subversive audio tours, (un-boring) lectures, or whatever else your brain births.
Firstly, think about this year’s theme: the frontier.
That’s right. The theoretical frontier, expansion of boundaries, extreme limits, Frontier Thesis, egalitarianism, the taming of the frontier from exploration through urban development, even the lack of interest in high culture and all that. Take that where you will.
Secondly, consider west and downtown Oakland and the spaces in which to make stuffs happen, incl. parks, streets, stores, rooftops, riverbanks, or anywhere else you can maybe mostly legally get yourself and a group of MEGAPOLIS attendees to (we happen to like these sorts of ideas).
Additional special consideration will be given to:
- NEW ARTISTS! We like new blood. If you presented at a previous festival you might not get to present this year. Sorry this hath been decreed, but yaknow, if you presented before you can attend the whole festival this year without having to worry all about that “making people happy” crapola.
- Events that invite participation and active creation among attendees, with created works to be shared on this website and maybe even at the end of the festival weekend.
- Session: 90- or 45-minute-long presentations, workshops, and the like by one or more presenters. We provide the venue. Megapolis features five 90-minute blocks on Saturday and Sunday during which time multiple sessions will happen at once. Presenters may (but probably will not) be asked to repeat their session over the course of the two days.
- Installation: MEGAPOLIS is providing up to three (3) grants of 1,000 USD each for artists to install works at the 2015 festival in
Oaklandthe Bay Area. Click here to submit a proposal.
- Tour or Soundwalk: One or more presenters leading 15 or fewer attendees outside of festival venues. You choose the length of time; will most likely be scheduled on Saturday or Sunday, maybe once each day. Usually these meet in front of the festival headquarters.
- Miscellaneous (AKA WILD CARD): Booths inside and outside festival venues, temporary radio stations, 1-800 numbers, crowd experiments, overnight or lunchtime gatherings, big wheel races captured through contact microphones and broadcast through giant speakers – essentially anything else mind-blowing you can think of outside of the above categories.
A few other things to keep in mind:
- If you have questions before or after you fill out this form, ask us at through our Contact page.
- While not required, it helps to submit well before the deadline.
- Reimbursements MAY be available to those artists providing materials to attendees during a Session; other artists should plan to account for the lions share of Session materials. If you need standard audio gear (speakers, mixers) to make your idea happen, we may be able to help — but the more self sustainable you are, the better chance it works for us.
- If you are with an arts organization in the Bay Area and you would like to curate an event using your artists, you can apply as an individual within an organization and just note what you want to do in the proposal. But note that your event will probably occur at one of our spaces (or start there if it’s a tour) so we don’t split up our audiences, since the Oaktown is a big place.
If your proposal is accepted, you get:
- Free entrance to all festival events
- Up to 2 free festival passes for the day you present for your friends, family, enemies, frenemies.
- Partial reimbursement for travel expenses from outside of the Bay Area (limited, typically only up to $50 depending unless there are special considerations)
- An invite to a supaexclusive event just for presenters and Famous People
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2015 @ 11:59PM EST. You’ll receive a response from us by no later than the middle of March.
OK! Now fill out this Important Form!!! (If you have issues with the form, please mssg us.)